Arnold Palmer Putting Courses

Re: Arnold Palmer Putting Courses

Postby squirerichard » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:06 pm

:lol:
The Proof is in the Putting.
squirerichard

Postby Peter Jones » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:43 pm

I found a video on YouTube under 'Ffrith Beach 1987', which turned out to be a panoramic shot of the Arnold Palmer course that was in the Ffrith Beach, Prestatyn until the whole Ffrith was redeveloped into gardens in 1993.

It was an 18-hole course and a very unfamiliar looking Arnold Palmer one. That may be because the Central Beach course could have been built earlier, and it made sense to build a totally different course. It does have typical features in the red and white toadstools, the tall flagposts and the characteristic sunken greens - although there are no paths between the greens. I can't make out clearly what looks like a large wheel.

When I spoke about it before finding this, Christine, from the other Prestatyn course, thought that it was a smaller one and didn't think it was an Arnold Palmer. And I thought it was more compact. But it's obviously the same one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cm6T6nUxZI
Peter Jones

Postby Ace Man » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Top notch find there Peter :ugeek:
What was that large hill about? Cool!!
Ace Man

Postby Peter Jones » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:18 pm

To add a bit more information about the Ffrith course, Christine told me that she thought the course was run by the council and that it closed at about 5.00pm., and remembers that the flowerbeds were well kept.

Another bit of semi-information I got, about Arnold Palmer courses in general, was from her partner, Alan, who went to a christening recently, in Lancashire, where another of the guests, who was from South Africa, had apparently been involved in the design of the courses. Alan said his neice had married into a wealthy family and they were serious businesspeople. He'd had a bit too much to drink, so I don't have any more information about it, but Alan said he thought he may as well go and lower the tone.
Peter Jones

Postby Peter Jones » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:10 pm

A box filled with green pencils, printed 'Arnold Palmer Putting Courses' has just been discovered stored in the clubhouse at Prestatyn. They've had the course since 2004 but only just found them. The box isn't anything to do with them, as it's just an old Barker & Dobson sweet box.

The also had two new benches made recently. They were going to have some lettering carved into them, and Alan decided to have 'Arnold Palmer'. The problem is that a lot of people, not realising he was a golfer, have been expressing their condolences, assuming that they're memorial benches for someone they knew.
Peter Jones

Postby Ace Man » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:20 pm

:o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please get some of those pencils for me! Many thanks :D
Ace Man

Postby Ace Man » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:21 pm

And can you get your mate to dig deeper about the design. Gold, that's Gold Peter!
Ace Man

Postby Peter Jones » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:30 pm

Ace Man wrote:And can you get your mate to dig deeper about the design. Gold, that's Gold Peter!
Ace Man wrote::o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please get some of those pencils for me! Many thanks :D

He gave me a couple of them but I could ask for more if you'd prefer to have a few. They're not going to give them out for normal use to customers. The just have the lettering in gold capitals, so they're not particularly elaborate, but the original pencils that were issued. Shall I post them? I have the other AP stuff yet to send as well.
Peter Jones

Postby Ace Man » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:40 pm

I'll have a dozen Peter :D Many thanks.
Just let me know when you've got them and I'll pm address and paypal you for the cost of postage. :ugeek:
Ace Man

Postby Peter Jones » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:43 pm

When I looked at the pencils again, in the natural light, the lettering wasn't gold, as I said, but silver on one and white on the other. I'm not sure if that one's had faded, but I'll get some with nice clear letters.
Peter Jones

Postby Ace Man » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:58 pm

Many thanks Peter :D
Ace Man

Postby Peter Jones » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:39 pm

I was only able to get one more of the pencils - although it's a good one for a photo, but I've had another AP find. The Masters Putting Green, at Southport, has three of the putters that were issued to the courses. They have 'Arnold Palmer Putting Course' on the back of the putter head. They're all the small child size, and they give them out for general use.

One of them has a brown grip with a brand name, which I've forgotten, and the other two have black grips. The brown one looks as though it might be older.
Peter Jones

Postby Ace Man » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:16 pm

Splendid stuff, Peter! :D
Ace Man

Postby Peter Jones » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:41 pm

I have photos of the holes at the Primrose Valley Holiday Park that I didn't get last year. The camera I had then, stopped working. It's four tokens (£2) for one round.

On my trip to Whitby, a former AP course owner of 17 years, claimed to have met Arnold Palmer on holiday in America, at one of his golf complexes, and he was asking him about the British courses. The man in the Whitby hut, thought it might have been Southport that was the course he'd had.
Peter Jones

Postby Ace Man » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:52 pm

Fascinating stuff, Peter.
What do these tokens look like?
And what did this man say?????????????
Ace Man

Postby Peter Jones » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:36 pm

There's an 18-hole grass putting on Scarborough's South Bay, and the man in charge told me there was once a crazy golf just a little further towards the town, next to the Ambassador Hotel. It was turned into a Church of England Care Home. It may possibly have been the old Arnold Palmer course. I asked the owner of the course near the Sealife Centre, and he told me it had been run down for some time before it went. The site is above the cliffs where the two cliff lifts are. There was also a funfair around there, which also disappeared some time ago.

The grass putting has a printed sheet on the clubhouse, with the name of the course record-holder, which is 35, and the date, which was set all the way back in 2002.
Peter Jones

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics