Arnold Palmer Putting Courses

Re: Arnold Palmer Putting Courses

Postby squirerichard » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:20 pm

Peter Jones wrote:
Ace Man wrote:I found it eventually, Many thanks Peter
http://www.journallive.co.uk/newcastle- ... -28721206/

Apologies for the duff link. I think there's a postcard which just shows this course, but it's a rare one, probably from the 1980s. I saw it a few years ago but haven't found another. If it's that one, it is a bit like Blackpool's was originally, with straight borders but the usual AP obstacles.

On the issue of this Graham Wylie's course record, I can now lay claim, for the first time, to hold the outright unofficial record for the Central Beach, Prestatyn course, with 29. Previously, I'd only held the record number of aces - eight - and the twice equalling of Christine Jones's record of 30. For my new record I was seven under on the first eleven holes, and did the last seven in 2s, to just scrape in as the first known person ever to get a sub-30 on the course.

Well done that man.

A potential tournament location! I'd like to return and have a crack at the 29 ;)
The Proof is in the Putting.
squirerichard

Postby Peter Jones » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:35 pm

One thing not obvious about Prestatyn as a tournament venue, is that you'd be surprised at the number of regulars who would enter - much more than the seasoned venues. Apart from that, I picked up a vintage golf trophy for 99p that's gathering dust at home. It's mainly wood and ideal for minigolf, and just needs a new plaque. The best name I came up with for a small tournament was the Central Beach Classic, but although they're definitely up for hosting a Welsh Open, like other courses, they'd never get around to holding one themselves. Despite my 29, though, I don't have a particularly good average. It's harder to get aces than Hastings, and if you land in a bunker, you usually have to take a penalty, as they're too deep. Holes 5,7,8 and also 16, if you go to hard on the rebound shot, are the dangers.

I think the carpet is alright, although a faster carpet, with the slopes on hole 4 and the steep one on hole 12, would make it a harder course. One thing they did with the carpet, though, that should be done everywhere, is that the square tee-off area is the same piece of carpet as the rest, rather than a mat or seperate square of carpet, that the others generally have.
Peter Jones

Postby bigtopted » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:33 pm

welsh open 2012 ?
put my name down for it
bigtopted

Postby Paul Johnson » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:46 pm

count me in too
JOhnson Paul Johnson
Paul Johnson

Postby perfect par » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:32 pm

nice idea peter lets hope the bmga pencil in a date on the calendar
perfect par

Postby Peter Jones » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:12 pm

I was watching An Audience with Ken Dodd the other night, where he was doing jokes about Southport, knowing a man there who could tell you the way to the sea, and that he was once mugged there by Lawrence of Arabia. Another novelty name if the Masters putting Green held a tournament, could be the Dessert Classic.

I was trying to work out when it was filmed. The star-studded audience included Brian Moseley, who played Coronation Street legend Alf Roberts.
Peter Jones

Postby Peter Jones » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:35 pm

I've got a correction to make regarding Bridlington. The owner of the North Marine course says that there was never an AP course there. He's nearly 60 and Brid born and bred, so that must be right. It was the woman at the Exmouth seafront course, from the family that had operated several courses, who told me that they used to have one in Bridlington. But she didn't know whereabouts it was located. Devon's a long way from North Yorkshire of course.

The man from the North Marine course said some of the obstacles on his are 50 years-old and it used to be located by the Spa, and also that, although he new about the AP courses in Filey (Primrose Valley camp) and Whitby, he isn't keen on them and prefers the old-fashioned courses. Of all the places I've visited, Bridlington is the one, given that its quite a big resort, that's bereft of minigolf. It's very good for amusement arcades, though. There's a large one, the Forum, and also a retro-type one with vintage machines - early ones and lots of '70s era ones. It's good for gift shops as well, as there's two shops that sell lots of retro TV gifts, both of which sell lots of their stock on th'internet.
Peter Jones

Postby Peter Jones » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:59 pm

I found someone, on a local history forum, who remembers a crazy golf in Coventry's War Memorial Park. There was a miniature railway there as well. I don't know if it was the early AP course that Coventry had, but I've put general enquiry on the forum.
Peter Jones

Postby Ace Man » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Peter Jones wrote:I found someone, on a local history forum, who remembers a crazy golf in Coventry's War Memorial Park. There was a miniature railway there as well. I don't know if it was the early AP course that Coventry had, but I've put general enquiry on the forum.

Yes, I believe it was the first AP which sat alongside the driving range.
Ace Man

Postby Peter Jones » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Ace Man wrote:
Peter Jones wrote:I found someone, on a local history forum, who remembers a crazy golf in Coventry's War Memorial Park. There was a miniature railway there as well. I don't know if it was the early AP course that Coventry had, but I've put general enquiry on the forum.

Yes, I believe it was the first AP which sat alongside the driving range.

I was given this information about where it was: 'It was in the narrow fenced-off area next to the Kenilworth Road, along with the miniature railway and pony rides.'
Peter Jones

Postby Peter Jones » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:41 pm

Another of the big-city courses I've found out about is Sheffield's, which has only gone in recent years. It was part of the Arnold Palmer Golf Range - now the Moorview Golf Range. It had an 18-hole APPC with a 'free game' hole. There was a 9-hole pitch-and-putt which went round the driving range in the centre.

I got that from someone who worked in a small bar with a pinball machine that was there, in the 70s. There was a post on the forum about that from 2004, saying there was a cheap bar from which you could take your beer outside to the tables in the middle of the crazy golf course. But he said it was rather neglected by then.

Someone else said they used to play it many years ago and used to push their small friend through the cage to drop balls into the 18th (19th that'd be) for a free game.
Peter Jones

Postby Peter Jones » Tue May 01, 2012 11:56 am

I joined a forum run by Withernsea Town Council a while back to ask of any memories of the AP course it had. I put two posts altogether. Nothing controversial. I didn't get any responses immediately so left it a bit and checked today to find that my posts had been deleted by the council. I've sent an Email to ask why, so just waiting for an explanation.
Peter Jones

Postby thighs » Tue May 01, 2012 9:48 pm

Peter Jones wrote:
Ace Man wrote:I found it eventually, Many thanks Peter
http://www.journallive.co.uk/newcastle- ... -28721206/

Apologies for the duff link. I think there's a postcard which just shows this course, but it's a rare one, probably from the 1980s. I saw it a few years ago but haven't found another. If it's that one, it is a bit like Blackpool's was originally, with straight borders but the usual AP obstacles.

On the issue of this Graham Wylie's course record, I can now lay claim, for the first time, to hold the outright unofficial record for the Central Beach, Prestatyn course, with 29. Previously, I'd only held the record number of aces - eight - and the twice equalling of Christine Jones's record of 30. For my new record I was seven under on the first eleven holes, and did the last seven in 2s, to just scrape in as the first known person ever to get a sub-30 on the course.

Sorry I'm not very quick to respond to this, but I'm catching up on posts I never got round to reading previously. My recollection of the Arnold Palmer is that it was at Tynemouth and originally 18 holes plus a 'Free Game' 19th. Hole 1 was like 16 at Hastings but not quite so fiendish if you missed. The last time I played there I think it had lost the AP branding and the holes were less playable. Some obstacles had been replaced; one hole, if I recall correctly, had pipes through concrete a little like on Sandbanks hole 17 but harder. It is possible that at one time some of the later holes were removed to make way for a seating area for refreshments but I'm not certain. The site of this course is included in a blog by some Squire bloke:

http://hamandeggerfiles.blogspot.co.uk/ ... -more.html

Maybe he could get some more info from his local source? :)

At one time when I was younger there was also a crazy golf at Whitley Bay near the caravan park, on the road leading to St Mary's Island. These weren't permanent constructions, and I don't think they were there very long. Wouldn't have been AP though, and I don't think it had a free game hole. Probably 9 or 12 holes I think.
thighs

Postby thighs » Tue May 01, 2012 9:54 pm

I see AceMan mentions on his site that there were AP courses in Whitley Bay and Tynemouth though. The WB one must have been before my time.
thighs

Postby Peter Jones » Wed May 02, 2012 3:03 pm

I should be able to find a another of the postcards I saw of the one in Whitley Bay, eventually if I find a postcard seller from that area. I was told that the Tynemouth one was there up until, very roughly, about ten years ago, when I was there for the Newcastle Open. The South Shields one bugs me because I wondered whether it was the only AP course, to date, be replaced by a pirate course. I could try writing to a celebrity who grew up in these places who's old enough to remember - Denise Welch often mentions growing up in Whitley Bay - instead of asking for a signed photo.
Peter Jones

Postby Peter Jones » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:55 pm

I've found some photos of the course at Tynemouth, as well as the current one:
http://www.flickrhivemind.net/flickr_hv ... _type=Tags

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamcreen/ ... hotostream
Peter Jones

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics