Arnold Palmer Putting Courses

Re: Arnold Palmer Putting Courses

Postby Peter Jones » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Ace Man wrote:Fascinating stuff, Peter.
What do these tokens look like?
And what did this man say?????????????

The tokens were just the normal light plastic chips the size of a £2 coin that you need for any of the small funfair rides or go-carts. The 'free game' cards have the camp's name on, and the scorecard just has 'mini golf' I asked for a card from the second attendant, who came over when I rang the bell, but he said I didn't need one as I was on my own.

The Whitby course uses an 18-hole scorecard like the one in Prestatyn, and the 'free game' card has the AP signature on the back in chunky lettering, but it's not an original card but something they added. The signs they have, next to the road, were only made a couple of years ago, and replaced the original one that had become a bit tatty. I think that was probably thrown away.

The man I spoke to in the clubhouse said some regulars had done the course in 12, with six holes-in-one, and had thought about a competition. He said he'd mention it to the boss.
Peter Jones

Postby Ace Man » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:28 pm

I need/want all of those tokens / scorecards please. Thank You Peter. The co-curator will collect them, probably.
Or you can send them to the other co-curator.
Ace Man

Postby squirerichard » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Ace Man wrote: The co-curator will collect them, probably.

:lol:

Failing that just leave them with the Janitor.
The Proof is in the Putting.
squirerichard

Postby Peter Jones » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Ace Man wrote:Fascinating stuff, Peter.
What do these tokens look like?
And what did this man say?????????????

I was told that there was an old AP course in the complex, so I'm not sure whether that's where the former course-owner mentioned he'd had one for 17 years, but whoever it was he spoke to told him that Arnold Palmer himself was there at the time and that he could meet him.

Arnold Palmer apparently said that he hadn't heard anything about the courses for such a long time - presumably the British ones, if there was one at this complex. That's all I know, really - I did ask whereabouts in America it was - but I think the former course-owner may have told him there were a lot of the British courses still remaining.

I don't think it would have been Southport that he had, as the man in the hut thought he'd said, but I was thinking he could have said Southend or South Shields. I'll ask at Southport, anyway, but the Laws have had that one since it was built.
Peter Jones

Postby Ace Man » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:09 pm

Please do.

I can tell you that there are now more AP courses in the UK than the US, probably more in the UK than in the Rest of the World. :o

Wouldn't it be nice if The Master himself came to the GB to celebrate that fact.
Ace Man

Postby perfect par » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:19 am

what you tim or arnold palmer
perfect par

Postby Ace Man » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:10 pm

In this scenario, I am the Doctor.
Need I say more?
Or do I have to explain the puttery of this comment to the disassembled? ie Team K*nt.
Ace Man

Postby perfect par » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:22 pm

the doctor of minigolf eh do you travel around in your own tardis
perfect par

Postby Ant » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:37 pm

Ted's wallet is the opposite to the Tardis - from the outside it looks quite big but when (if) it opens, its interior turns out to be tiny
Ant

Postby Ace Man » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:11 am

Ant wrote:Ted's wallet is the opposite to the Tardis - from the outside it looks quite big but when (if) it opens, its interior turns out to be tiny

Quite frankly, I'm shocked you've actually seen it. I think it was January 3rd 2002 when I last remember getting a brief glimpse of it.
Ace Man

Postby Ace Man » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:12 am

perfect par wrote:the doctor of minigolf eh do you travel around in your own tardis

No, a car. Occasionally by foot. And once in a while on a bicycle.
Ace Man

Postby Peter Jones » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:04 pm

I found out some information about the origins of the Butlins courses from a visit to the Bognor Regis course. The owner told me that building began on his course in December 1992, and it opened on Good Friday 1993, so he thought it was the last Arnold Palmer course to be built. He said it had been designed under licence by the people who later formed Castle Golf, and that Butlins approached Chris Richards to ask him to design courses for them, which was declined. A couple of years after his was built, a group of people from Butlins decsended on the course, taking loads of photos of each hole, and a 9-hole AP-style course was built down the road at Butlins in about 1996.

This may explain how the Haven caravan park in Filey has one in an area of it that doesn't seem to have been part of the old Butlins. That must mean that the one in Ayr, with the unusual AP-style obstacles, must also be a copy, and also the one at the Golden Sands camp in Mablethorpe, where there was never a Butlins.

I've also been told, by the respective owners that Exmouth's course was opened in about 1970, and Weston-super-Mare's was opened in 1969, and that the two-storey building they have instead of the usual hut, was built at the same time to service the course.
Peter Jones

Postby Peter Jones » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:33 pm

I was told that Eastbourne's AP course remained in a run-down state right next to the Treasure Island course for some time after that was built, and that the windmill and watermill were visible from the road. Treasure Island, itself, closed down earlier this year due to unpaid rent.

I'd thought maybe one of the two current courses had been built on the same site, but it was to the right as you look towards the sea, where there's a car park.
Peter Jones

Postby Peter Jones » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:32 pm

I found this article with an account of Whitley Bay's old 9-hole AP course.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/newcastle- ... -28721206/
Peter Jones

Postby Ace Man » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:02 pm

I found it eventually, Many thanks Peter
Ace Man

Postby Peter Jones » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:18 pm

Ace Man wrote:I found it eventually, Many thanks Peter

Apologies for the duff link. I think there's a postcard which just shows this course, but it's a rare one, probably from the 1980s. I saw it a few years ago but haven't found another. If it's that one, it is a bit like Blackpool's was originally, with straight borders but the usual AP obstacles.

On the issue of this Graham Wylie's course record, I can now lay claim, for the first time, to hold the outright unofficial record for the Central Beach, Prestatyn course, with 29. Previously, I'd only held the record number of aces - eight - and the twice equalling of Christine Jones's record of 30. For my new record I was seven under on the first eleven holes, and did the last seven in 2s, to just scrape in as the first known person ever to get a sub-30 on the course.
Peter Jones

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics