nicknames

Re: nicknames

Postby otterpond » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:51 pm

Donkey G wrote:How about | John "Chatty-man" Mittler
or "Supper squigy" sorry if the spelling is poor!

I think we should invent a website as an 'homage' to www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com (oh yes it does exist!)

www.catsthatlooklikemittler.com

Here's one to start you off
http://www.lolcats.com/view/28770/
otterpond

Postby Peter Jones » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:57 pm

What do others think of my nickname idea I had for Alex Pragnell? - Alex 'The Grrreat' Pragnell. He could stick with the shortened version of his first name, as did Bill 'the Conqueror' Bullin, which was one of the better ones - by comparison, at least. I think Alex's is the best one I've come up with for another player.
Peter Jones

Postby squirerichard » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Peter Jones wrote:What do others think of my nickname idea I had for Alex Pragnell? - Alex 'The Grrreat' Pragnell. He could stick with the shortened version of his first name, as did Bill 'the Conqueror' Bullin, which was one of the better ones - by comparison, at least. I think Alex's is the best one I've come up with for another player.

Grrreat. He could get sponsored off of Frosties ;)
The Proof is in the Putting.
squirerichard

Postby Pasi » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Or sponsored by AceMan...Grrr...eat.
Pasi

Postby Peter Jones » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:41 pm

I heard that Dave Gomm required a nickname - I don't know whether he had one for the Kent Open just gone. It's a difficult one for a name-based moniker, but I thought of "The Swingommeter".
I've thought of dozens of easier puns and other styles of nickname as alternatives for other players, or those without one. I'm working on one for Justin Irwin - who played in the World Crazies - author of Murder on the Darts Board, who chose "Bachelor of Darts" - suggested by a friend who was a football commentator - as part of his walk-on during his year of trying to qualify for the PDC World Championships. The principle doesn't work for minigolf: unique to be a professional dartplayer with a degree, but almost the norm for minigolfers, I'd have thought.
Peter Jones

Postby Peter Jones » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:04 pm

I'd only just thought of that one, for Dave Gomm, but it's better as "The Swing-Gomm-meter". It reads like like a Wallace & Gromitt invention, then, despite the otherwise awkward-looking dashes. "The Bouncing Gomm" was the first I'd thought of but didn't think it was up to the standard of the others I'd created.

I'd been thinking whether my own moniker would be better written as one word to assist the pun - everyone writes it without the hyphen I used, but not everyone remembered it, so I presumed they didn't realise it was supposed to be a witty variation on a famous nickname (which is usually written as one word (without a hyphen)). But I'm not sure whether it looks better as "The Crazyaced Assassin" or "The CrazyAced Assassin" - easier to read as the latter, I think.
Peter Jones

Postby squirerichard » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:53 am

Peter Jones wrote:I'd only just thought of that one, for Dave Gomm, but it's better as "The Swing-Gomm-meter". It reads like like a Wallace & Gromitt invention, then, despite the otherwise awkward-looking dashes. "The Bouncing Gomm" was the first I'd thought of but didn't think it was up to the standard of the others I'd created.

I'd been thinking whether my own moniker would be better written as one word to assist the pun - everyone writes it without the hyphen I used, but not everyone remembered it, so I presumed they didn't realise it was supposed to be a witty variation on a famous nickname (which is usually written as one word (without a hyphen)). But I'm not sure whether it looks better as "The Crazyaced Assassin" or "The CrazyAced Assassin" - easier to read as the latter, I think.

The Double-Parentheses ;-))
squirerichard

Postby Peter Jones » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:24 pm

The famous book about punctuation Eats, Shoots and Leaves, by Lynne Truss, used an extract from a book, that mentioned a minigolf course.
Peter Jones

Postby squirerichard » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Peter Jones wrote:The famous book about punctuation Eats, Shoots and Leaves, by Lynne Truss, used an extract from a book, that mentioned a minigolf course.

:D
squirerichard

Postby Peter Jones » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Here it is:

Popotakis had tried a cinema, a dance hall, baccarat, and miniature golf; now he had four Ping-Pong tables. He had made good money, for the smart set of Jacksonburg were always hard put to get through the rainy season: the polyglot professional class had made it their rendezvous; even attaches from the legations and younger members of the Jackson family had come there.

Evelyn Waugh, Scoop, 1938
Peter Jones

Previous

Return to General Topics